Paint 3D is a raster graphics and 3D modeling application which is a refresh of Microsoft Paint. It is one of several 3D modeling and printing applications introduced or improved with the Windows 10 Creators Update, along with View 3D, Windows Mixed Reality, Holograms, and 3D Builder.
Operating system: Windows 10 Version 1703 and later
Stable release: 6.1907.18017.0 / August 13, 2019; 12 months ago
Initial release date: 26 October 2016
Developer(s): Microsoft; Lift London
Available in: 65 languages
In May 2016, a leaked Universal Windows Platform version of Microsoft Paint was revealed with a new hybrid ribbon-sidebar interface and some support for 3D objects. Microsoft rolled out a dummy app called Newcastle through the Windows Store to replace installations of the leaked build.
In October 2016, a user on Twitter leaked out official tutorial videos of an upcoming version of Paint for Windows 10. The video showcases new features such as a completely redone interface with pen input in mind, as well as the ability to create and modify basic 3D models.
Paint 3D was briefly made a replacement to Microsoft Paint, in Windows builds 14971 and 14986. However, due to complaints about the new interface and features missing in Paint 3D, the Windows team decided to allow the two apps to coexist.
What’s new in this version
Paint3D version 6.2003.4017.0 and later versions include important security updates. Create long ribbons or short dollops of volume with the new Tube brush. Choose from circle, star, triangle, and more. Easily copy and paste your 3D model into Microsoft Office apps, including Word and PowerPoint, and the Mixed Reality Viewer app. Rotate your 3D models with more precision—see how far you’ve rotated your model and the exact number of degrees.
- 2D? Meet 3D. Instantly create cut-outs from your favorite pictures with Magic Select, then use them as stickers to wrap onto your 3D models.
- Set the scene. Try realistic textures like hardwood and soft grass, and choose the filter and lighting options that best show off your creation.
- Debut your work on Remix3D.com. Discover thousands of 3D models from the Remix 3D community, and upload your own creations.
- Doodle in 3D! Sketch a drawing with the 3D doodle tool and watch it instantly turn 3D.
- Show how it’s done. Export a video of your creative process and show others how you’ve made your work of art.
Getting started: Paint 3D’s basic navigation
- Brushes: Expand your artistic abilities with unique pens & brushes that mimic real materials without the mess. Try transparent watercolor that beautifully washes the canvas or oil painting so real that you can see the paint smudging. These artistic brushes work both on both the canvas and on 3D models with professional effects such as polished metal and matte to help personalize your designs.
- 2D Shapes: It is easy to draw perfect shapes with our collection of 2D shapes and the line and curve tool. Use the control circles to manipulate the curvature to your desired angle. You can also click Make 3D to turn the shape into a layer with additional rotation options.
3D Shapes: There are many ways to get started in creating in 3D. Use pre-made shapes to jump start building a new model or use the 3D doodle tool to instant turn your 2D sketches in 3D models.
- Stickers: This is a unique and easy way to add texture to your creations. Use this tool to experiment with materials such as wood or marble or upload your own photo to create a custom texture sticker. It will instantly wrap around 3D objects–no prior 3D knowledge needed! You can also adjust the opacity of the sticker.
- Text: Add words using our 2D & 3D text options. 2D will anchor the text to the canvas while 3D text will allow you to move it around the canvas and rotate to different directions.
- Effects: Create unique moods such as calming Mist or mysterious Night by changing the environment and lighting in your 3D scenes. You can even move the sun around a light wheel to change the direction of the lighting.
- 3D View mode: This allows you to move around and see your content from any angle. There are also controls to help you zoom in and out of the canvas with the ability to enter a precise zoom amount.
Is 3d paint free?
Paint 3D is a built-in creative application that comes free with Windows 10*. It is designed to be simple yet powerful by allowing you to create professional or fun creative projects by easily combining 2D and 3D tools. The best part is that you don’t need any design experience – Paint 3D can be used by anyone.
What is 3d paint for?
Paint 3D provides 3D stock people, animals, geometric shapes, text, and doodles. Users can rotate objects, adjust the placement of 3D object in all three dimensions, and apply 2D objects as stickers to 3D objects.
Is paint 3d good?
Paint 3D adds an extra dimension to casual image creation, while the old Paint also remains available in Windows for those who cling to 2D ways. You might think 3D modeling would be too complex for novices—as most 3D design software has been up to now—but put that worry aside: It’s simple enough for anyone to use.
How do I enable 3d Paint in Windows 10?
How to download and install new Paint 3D for Windows 10
- Install one of the builds which represent the “Redstone 2” branch of Windows 10. These builds are a preview of the upcoming “Creators Update”. The most recent build as of this writing is build 14955.
- Sign in with a Microsoft account.
- Point your browser here:Download new Paint 3D for Windows 10.
How do I make 3d paint?
- Mix equal parts of shaving cream and Elmer’s glue in a plastic or glass bowl.
- Add food coloring, a few drops at a time until you get the desired color. It can be as dark or as light as you want. …
- Apply the glue mixture to heavy paper using a brush. …
- Let the paint dry.
Why does paint 3d cut off text?
1] If either the size of the text or the picture is very large, adjusting its size could fix this issue. 2] If this doesn’t solve your problem, do the following. Open the picture with Paint 3D application and select the ‘Canvas’ option. … When done, hit the ‘Text‘ button and select ‘2D Text‘ option from the right pane.
Can Paint 3d do layers?
Adding layers are currently available to 3D objects in the Paint 3D application. Non-3D objects within the application doesn’t have this feature yet. In the event that you’re working on a 3D object and wanted to add layers, you can perform the following: Select a 3D object in your scene.